Hi! I'm glad you found my site, but I've moved to another one! So if you like what you see, come visit my new blog at http://www.ellemm.com - there you'll find all the posts from this site, plus up-to-date posts about growing veggies, farming, rural life, and more! - Laura

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hornworms Begone

Ew, what are these tiny little grenades? Deer droppings? Too small. Rabbit? Still too small. Let's consult the internet. Ugh...


This is caterpillar poop. Left behind by either the tomato hornworm or the tobacco hornworm, both big fat types of caterpillars that demolish tomato plants (and tobacco plants, judging by the name). A little grossed out, but determined that my tomatoes will not be destroyed, I set out in search of the invaders.


I found one! But... wait... this is not a tomato plant. It is not a tobacco plant. This is a tomatillo plant. Mr. hornworm, you are confused. While mocking the destructive little idiot, I was able to identify him as a tobacco hornworm (the stinger on his butt is red instead of black, and he has seven diagonal stripes on each side instead of eight V-shaped marks). I found some gloves, peeled this guy off the stem (they hold on tight), and dropped him in a bucket of soapy water. The soap keeps them from getting out, and they drown. Muahaha!

Moving on to the tomato plants... I found quite a few more. How? One, look for that nasty black poop on the ground. I usually found them somewhere on the top of the plant I found the poop beneath. You can also look for stems that look like the leaves have been pulled off. The guy below is in the process of doing so. They are thorough eaters, they consume an entire leaf and move on. Did I mention they are huge? They're huge. The size of my index finger.


Most of the damage I found was near the top of the plant, which is also where all the hornworms were. During the hotter part of the day they tended to be slightly in the shade, but as the sun started going down they were happy to be right there on top of the plant. The guy below was happily munching away on a tomato, even with all those nice leaves around him. Bastard.


So he went swimming. Adieu!


No comments:

Post a Comment